On January 1, 2010, Pele Company purchased the following two machines for use in its production process. Machine A: The cash price of this machine was $38,000. Related expenditures included: sales tax $1,700, shipping costs $150, insurance during shipping $80, installation and testing costs $70, and $100 of oil and lubricants to be used with the machinery during its first year of operations. Pele estimates that the useful life of the machine is 5 years with a $5,000 salvage value remaining at the end of that time period. Assume that the straight-line method of depreciation is used.
Machine B: The recorded cost of this machine was $160,000. Pele estimates that the useful life of the machine is 4 years with a $10,000 salvage value remaining at the end of that time period. Instructions
(a) Prepare the following for Machine A.
(1) The journal entry to record its purchase on January 1, 2010.
(2) The journal entry to record annual depreciation at December 31, 2010.
(b) Calculate the amount of depreciation expense that Pele should record for machine B each year of its useful life under the following assumptions.
(1) Pele uses the straight-line method of depreciation.
(2) Pele uses the declining-balance method. The rate used is twice the straight-line rate.
(3) Pele uses the units-of-activity method and estimates that the useful life of the machine is 125,000 units. Actual usage is as follows: 2010, 45,000 units; 2011, 35,000 units; 2012, 25,000 units; 2013, 20,000 units.
(c) Which method used to calculate depreciation on machine B reports the highest amount of depreciation expense in year 1 (2010)? The highest amount in year 4 (2013)? The highest total amount over the 4-year period?
This question was answered on: Jul 11, 2017
Need a similar solution fast, written anew from scratch? Place your own custom order
We have top-notch tutors who can help you with your essay at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments. This we believe is a better way of understanding a problem and makes use of the efficiency of time of the student. New solution orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.