The Plant Asset and Accumulated Depreciation accounts of Pell Corporation had the following balances at December 31, 2006:
Depreciation method and useful lives:
? Land improvements: Straight-line; 15 years.
? Building: 150%-declining-balance; 20 years.
? Machinery and equipment: Straight-line; 10 years.
? Automobiles: 150%-declining-balance; 3 years.
? Depreciation is computed to the nearest month. No salvage values are recognized.
Transactions during 2007:
1. On January 2, 2007, machinery and equipment were purchased at a total invoice cost of $260,000, which included a $5,500 charge for freight. Installation costs of $27,000 were incurred.
2. On March 31, 2007, a machine purchased for $58,000 on January 3, 2003 was sold for $36,500.
3. On May 1, 2007, expenditures of $50,000 were made to repave parking lots at Pell?s plant location. The work was necessitated by damage caused by severe winter weather.
4. On November 2, 2007, Pell acquired a tract of land with an existing building in exchange for 10,000 shares of Pell?s $20 par common stock, which had a market price of $38 a share on this date. Pell paid legal fees and title insurance totaling $23,000. The last property tax bill indicated assessed values of $240,000 for land and $60,000 for building. Shortly after acquisition, the building was razed at a cost of $35,000 in anticipation of new building construction in 2008.
5. On December 31, 2007, Pell purchased a new automobile for $15,250 cash and trade-in of an automobile purchased for $18,000 on January 1, 2006. The new automobile has a cash value of $19,000.
1. Prepare a schedule analyzing the changes in each of the plant assets during 2007, with detailed supporting computations. Disregard the related accumulated depreciation accounts.
2. For each asset classification, prepare a schedule showing depreciation expense for the year ended December 31, 2007.
3. Prepare a schedule showing the gain or loss from each asset disposal that Pell would recognize in its income statement for the year ended December 31,2007.
This question was answered on: Jul 11, 2017
Need a similar solution fast, written anew from scratch? Place your own custom order
We have top-notch tutors who can help you with your essay at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments. This we believe is a better way of understanding a problem and makes use of the efficiency of time of the student. New solution orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.